Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Valentines Day!!!!


While some of you went all out to show your valentines that you care with the traditional chocolate and roses I gave my wife the gift that keeps on giving - BIODIVERSITY!! Several years ago a late icestorm killed this pine. My wife wanted me to cut it down, but it was far enough away from the house and the dog pens that I convinced her to let me leave it. Lucky her - she got the opportunity to photograph this beautiful pileated woodpecker!
We need to recognize that in order to sustain biodiversity we need to have a variety of habitats and microhabitats - and that includes old dead pines. I can't recall where - but I certainly recall reading that in terms of biomass dead logs are some of the most productive microhabitats. So next year when you're shopping for that perfect valentines gift, give the gift of biodiversity. And maybe instead of roses and chocolate you can get your significant other organic chocolate and live native plants for the yard :).

No comments:

Post a Comment