Thursday, February 18, 2010

2010 SC Envirothon Special Topics Training

I can't tell you how excited I was when I heard the Special Topic for this year's Envirothon. For those of you who aren't aware, the host state for the national competition gets to choose the Special Topic for the year. Last year we studies Biodiversity for the Competition in North Carolina. This year California chose "Protection of Groundwater Through Urban, Agricultural, and Environmental Planning". This is a topic that I harp on in every class that I teach...so I assumed that it would be an easy topic to prepare. I was wrong.

Once again this year I worked with my counterpart from across the hedge. The problem that we ran into was that this topic required a fairly substantial foundation of knowledge before the students could actually begin to understand the intricate interactions; the cause and effect. If you know anything about environmental studies you understand that it requires teasing apart complex juxtapositions of science, society, nature, and politics.

Well, enough ranting. What you really want is the video of the presentation that Jeff and I did at the Clemson Sandhills REC. I finally had to cut it into six smaller videos so that I could put it on YouTube. I apologize for the lowish quality. It was the best I could do with what I had. As always feel free to contact me with any questions you may have. Good luck training those students!

Video 1

Video 2

Video 3

Video 4

Video 5

Video 6

Finally, I will get the Powerpoint up. Just as soon as I figure out how.

No comments:

Post a Comment